Energy Efficient Dryer
Is it worth it to upgrade to an energy efficient dryer? Can it save you money?
Well, yes, it can save you money. Before considering the purchase of a clothes dryer, consider the following:
- Can you hang dry your clothes? (its free)
- Do you have natural gas available? Natural gas prices in North America are much lower than electricity prices and it might make sense to purchase a natural gas fuelled clothes dryer.
Use the calculator to the right to approximate your energy usage. Change some of the inputs and you will see the impact on your yearly costs.
If you have an old top loader you will see that it is probably time to replace it (change the options in the calculator and you will see the difference in cost per year).
Note: A lot of cities have programs where they will come pick up your old appliances at no cost (if the city doesn't come the scrap collectors would love to come get your old appliances).
Energy Efficient Dryer Brands
Ideas to keep Clothes Drying Costs Down
- Hang your clothes to dry avoiding the use of the dryer.
- Use the auto dry sensing mode on your dryer and your dryer will not run longer than it needs to.
- Wash lighter fabrics together in one load and wait to wash heavy fabrics together in a separate load.
- Make sure your loads are full.
- Remove the lint from the lint screen every time you use the dryer - this could save you 10%-25%.
- Dry more than one load in a row. The dryer will still be hot from the previous load, saving energy.
- Buy an energy efficient dryer.
- Switch from an electric dryer to a natural gas fuelled dryer.
Return to the home page. You are currently on the page "Energy Efficient Dryer"