Are CFL bulbs dangerous?

Are CFL bulbs dangerous?

Comments for Are CFL bulbs dangerous?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

May 08, 2013
Rating
starstarstarstarstar
Straight from the webpage
by: Kevin

It is true that there is mercury in all CFL bulbs and mercury is a toxic element. All CFL bulbs must contain less than 5 mg of mercury, and most contain under 1.5 mg.

First, the mercury inside the bulb is not an issue at all if the bulb doesn't break. After all, most thermostats contain approximately 3000 mg of mercury and the battery in your watch likely contains around 25 mg of mercury (not to mention old thermometers).

Second, if the bulb does break, experts say that the likely exposure is less than you are exposed to when you eat a can of Albacore Tuna.

If a bulb breaks, to be safe use gloves to clean up the mess and seal the broken parts in a plastic bag and throw it out.

If you are concerned with this issue, you can buy CFLs with a protective cover, which lets no mercury escape in the case of breakage. Use these bulbs in locations that your children can get to ease your concerns.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Discussion Forum Topic Submission Page.